Like the original “Contract with America”, the contract with Virginia delineates the guiding principles and commitments to local office.
I Hereby Affirm,
- The United States and Commonwealth of Virginia Constitutions are “The law over and that governs government”; and
- The Peoples’ rights are unalienable and come from “Nature and Nature’s god”; and
- All political power is inherent in the people. Governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed and are established to protect and maintain individual rights. Government at all levels shall preserve individual liberty by observing constitutional limitations; and
- Citizens have the right to exercise their civic authority to instruct and hold local, state and federal representatives accountable under the laws over government.
- The Federal government currently exercises powers beyond those “enumerated” in the Constitution and shall return them to the states; and
- The Laws over government protect the security of persons and private property from government; guarantees due process before government may deprive Americans of life, liberty or property; guarantees jury trials; and protects other natural rights such as the right to be left alone; and
- The individual right to Property is an unalienable right which flows from one’s right to life and liberty; is the fruit of one’s thoughts and labor and shall be aggressively protected, including protection from government trespass and ‘takings’; and
- Citizens shall have the freedom to pursue their American Dream through a free enterprise system, which is the most productive supplier of human needs and economic justice. To this end, oppressive taxes and regulation shall be eliminated and a free, open-market, entrepreneurial economy that leads to competition and innovation shall be restored; and
- All elected representatives are bound by Constitutional limitations, represent the citizens, and shall do what is good for the Commonwealth of Virginia and the country as a whole, and shall not pander to special interests.
- Government at all levels shall exercise fiscal responsibility and budgetary restraints; and
- There shall be transparency in the legislative, budget and regulatory process and oversight by elected representatives shall be ensured;
- Allowing unelected bureaucrats at any level of government to make law is unacceptable; and
- No one is above the law; and
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States, and the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Virginia, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge all the duties incumbent upon me as Commissioner of Revenue, Goochland County, according to the best of my ability, (so help me God).”